Monday, January 11, 2010

The Answer to Warner's Prayers

Before Kurt Warner went to sleep Saturday night, he knelt beside his bed, folded his hands, bowed his head and said a little prayer; "God please give me the wisdom and strength to lead my team to victory. Please allow me to succeed in my endeavors and allow my super bowl ring and 2-time NFL MVP awards to guide me through the challenges I face before me, Amen"

Before lacing up his cleats and taking the field for warmups, Warner closed his eyes again and said; "God, if you can hear me, please grant me the ability to control my emotions and concentrate on the task at hand. Also, could you please ask the NFL's second-ranked defense to not only fail to meet expectations, but become completely obsolete in their most meaningful game of the season, Amen."

As his took his place under center, for what could have possibly been the final playoff game of the QBs career, Warner turned his head to the sky and said; "God, if you are listening, please look after my teammates and coaches during this mission. And could you please manage to render Packers six-time pro bowler, interception league-leader, Charles Woodson meaningless in a game where only one turnover could dictate the outcome, Amen."


And for the final time, after two prayers answered and a tie ballgame on the board, Warner took a knee on the sidelines and before the start of OT, after the Packers won the toss, lowered his gaze one final time and said; "God, if you're there, please grant me the courage to choose the right course of action and set the ultimate example for my fans and teammates. Also, could you please assist Aaron Rogers in single-handedly "kicking" his team out of the playoffs on the final play of the game, Amen."

Sunday night, in the NFC wild card game, it was obvious Joe Buck was a Cardinals fan. To Warner, the obvious fan was his oldest and dearest friend who, to him, took a small town grocery bagger and made him a future NFL Hall of Fame quarterback. Next week you better believe Joe Buck will still be rooting for the Cardinals. But don't be so sure about God. Warner's playing the Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment